The ratio of two quantities(In same units) is the relationship between those two quantities, which express what part of the first quantity is of the other and how many times the first quantity is of the other in magnitude.
In other word, the number of times one quantity contains another quantity of the same kind; is the Ratio of the two quantities.
|Mathematical sign of ratio is =||o|
Let the age of father is 35 year.And age of son is 10 year.Then,
Ratio of Father's age to Son's age is 35:10
It may noted that,
So, multiplication of each term.
Some key things about Ratio
1. Ratio is the tool of comparison of two quantities of same kind.
2. Ratio has no units or it is independent of the units used in the quantities compared.
3. The two quantities compared are called the terms of the ratio.
4. The first term used in a simple ratio is called Antecedent.And,
5. the second term used in a simple ratio is called Consequent.
Let, Father's age : Son's age = 35 : 10
Here 35 is the first term.so, 35 called as Antecedent.And
10 is the second term.so, 10 called as Consequent.
6. Ratio is always expressed in its lowest form.
7. The second terms of a Ratio can not be zero.
8. Order of terms of a ratio is important. a:b is not the same as b:a .